Thursday, August 27, 2009

Summer Reading

Now that my summer is about over (classes resumed yesterday), I think it appropriate to reveal -- not that anyone cares too deeply -- my summer reading list. While this seems a little weak, I think it should be noted that Cultural Amnesia and The Third Reich At War are massive books -- tomes, even -- that consumed a lot of time (the latter book still consumes a lot of time and it's about all I've done for the last week or so).

Hannah Arendt, Eichmann In Jerusalem (1964)
Richard J. Evans, The Third Reich At War (2008)
Clive James, Cultural Amnesia (2007)
Ernst Jünger, Storm Of Steel (1920/1931 ver.)
Cormac McCarthy, Suttree (1979)
Peter Pettinger, Bill Evans: How My Heart Sings (1999)

I've also been dabbling in Frank O'Hara's Collected Poetry (1971/1995) and Rilke in Mitchell's translation (The Selected Poetry of RMR). For whatever reason (and in the case of the O'Hara volume, it's partially a baffling-to-me editorial layout), I don't like reading poetry straight through -- unless it's meant to be read straight through. I'll admit coming to O'Hara largely because the second season of Mad Men was laced with allusions to his Meditations In An Emergency (1957), but I'll also admit that it was a pleasant surprise to find him as engaging as he has proved.

Of course, it wouldn't be an interesting summer book list if I didn't recount all the books that I have yet to get to -- and, thanks to law journal and moot court, probably won't for a while.

Italo Calvino, t zero (1967)
Bret Easton Ellis, Less Than Zero (1985)
Kazuo Ishiguro, An Artist Of The Floating World (1986)
Michael Burleigh, The Third Reich: A New History (2000)
Alexander Pushkin, Eugene Onegin (Stanley Mitchell, trans., 2008)
John Reed, Ten Days That Shook The World (1919)
François Truffaut, Hitchcock/Truffaut (1967/1983)

Of course, I think having such a deep shelf of books that I need to read is a bit of subconscious rebellion against the imperial demands of the law school on my time. While cases are interesting (especially if you want to pass the classes, as I do), I don't think many rise to the level of great literature. Even Justice Antonin Scalia, often praised for his prose, tends toward tendentiousness in a way that wouldn't pass muster in the circles of serious nonfiction.

4 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, how are things? I recently shared this document along with a colleague, we'd a fantastic laugh.

Also visit my web blog; please click the following internet page

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Aakash said...

Very Nice Post Thank you for sharing about this topic I Really Liked your Post And Don't Forget To Buy Dermacol Products in India Online and also find us on Beauty Industry

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger 3nod maka said...

احصل الان من خلال موقعنا علي افضل الاعمال الخاصه بالتنظيف و بافضل كفائه الان من شركة تنظيف خزانات خلال موقعنا و بافضل تميز من خلال توفير افضل فريق شركة تنظيف فلل عمل من المتخصصين شركة تنظيف موكيت و المتميزين الان في التنظيف تواصلو معنا الان و احضصل الان شركة تنظيف رخام علي افضل الخدمات المتميزه و باقل الاسعار و افضل الخصومات المتميزه من خلال موقعنا

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous tornando said...

It's great to publish your list of books.
I am a student of electricity and I believe that only the books introduced by university professors are not enough! Many times I spend my time in the university library. It's great that I have access to a source of pure and rich books. Last semester I found books that, instead of bothering to read 300-page books, summarized them. So I was able to review the book several times to try it out. My test result was excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home