Tuesday, June 26, 2007

People say...

Thanks to the miracle of Marconi's wireless radio and Sen. Ted Stevens' mighty Interweb, "series of tubes," I heard a song. It's "Hey There, Delilah." Aside from the most undeservedly pompous music video since Michael Bay's profoundly confusing "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That," the song has some devotees. Here's a lyrical sample:

"Hey there Delilah / What's it like in New York City? / I'm a thousand miles away / But girl tonight you look so pretty / Yes you do / Times Square can't shine as bright as you / I swear it's true // Hey there Delilah / Don't you worry about the distance / I'm right there if you get lonely / Give this song another listen / Close your eyes / Listen to my voice it's my disguise / I'm by your side"

Well. The comments tend to talk about how sweet and tragic it is. Fair enough. It's not Sophocles, I say, so you should give it its due. Then, in the car today, I was listening to Peter Schreier do "Ich grolle nicht" (the 2002 András Schiff-accompanied recital in Dresden on Orfeo). Yes. The pop song, not as good as the misses of Rufus Wainwright or Pulp, I might say, seemed - well - to be blunt, not good. Not good at all, or, putting it another way: bad.

What do people say? That mainstream pop music and classical are as good as each other, just different. You have some evidence, "Hey There, Delilah," and Schreier's "Ich grolle nicht." You can make up your own mind. There might be an objective hierarchy of quality after all.

5 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . Michael Bay's profoundly confusing "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" . . . .

And here I thought I was the only one on the planet to notice that.

Cheers,
~Karl

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Patrick J. Smith said...

Alas, no. I find Mr. Bay's work both confusing and hypnotic. It's like the trains of bad taste, pomposity, and Richard Wagner all collided at the intersection of rock-and-roll.

You can't look away. But, indeed, why would you want to?

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Shaimaa Elsadek said...

_____________________________________
تنظيف واجهات بالرياض
تهتم شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض بالنظافة لما لها من أهمية كبيرة في حياتنا و تعمل علي الشعور بالراحة التامة لجميع أفراد البيت فقد حرصت على توفير فريق كامل ومدرب على جميع أنواع النظافة وخاصة الزجاج حتي تتم عملية التنظيف علي أفضل درجة كما أنها تعمل دائماً على إعطاء الفريق دورات تدريبية في جميع وسائل النظافة للتأكد التام من أن الشركة توفر للعميل طرق النظافة بأحدث التقنيات العالمية وبجودة وكفاءة عالية والتي لا يمكنه الحصول علية إلا من خلال شركتنا ولكسب الثقة دائماً لأن هذا هو هدفنا الأول و الأخير كما أن الشركة تحرص كل الحرص على استخدام أفضل و أروع المعدات العالمية.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Mai said...

خدمات افراحي
تنسيق قاعات افراح بالزهور فى الفجيرة

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger الفارس كلين said...



شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخفجى
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالخفجى
شركة تنظيف كنب وسجاد بالخرج
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالباحه
شركة تنظيف خزنات بالاحساء
شركة تركيب طارد الحمام بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بجازان
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجازان
شركة تسليك مجاري بالخرج
شركة عزل خزانات بالدمام












 

Post a Comment

<< Home