Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Homeroom Bell Rings

Alex Ross, among others, presents this concept for a Ring production. I sort-of half-like it. Seeing the twilight of the gods as a twilight of the smart set would give me great pleasure.

Götterdämmerung a la John Hughes sounds interesting and amusing, but is - ultimately - the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If a Marxist-Industrial Revolution Ring and Harry Kupfer's Star Wars productions were vile, Eurotrash Regietheater, then a Sixteen Candles Ring is just as bad. Listen, I like Regietheater, but I loath logical inconsistency. If staying true to Wagner's concept is important, than the Valkyries bobbysoxing it up and replacing "Ho-jo-to-ho!" with Toni Basil's "Mickey" is a disgusting, execrable idea.

Minimalism, brutalism, modernism. That is timeless theater. This ain't, much as I am amused.

6 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

Wagner...Saved by the Bell style?

When Albrich in the morning
took the Rhinegold with out a warning
Why I didn't think the gods would last a long time
But when Fafner with his hook
Killed old Fasolt with just look
I'm at the corner just in time to see the Valkeries fly by
It's alright 'coz I'm saved by Brunnhilde
If Hagan pops a test
I know I'm in a mess
And his potion ate all my memory last night
Siegfried's alone in a forrest
Gotterdammerung had a chorus
If that Valkerie jumps in the fire it will be alright
It's alright 'coz I'm saved by the Brunnhilde

It's alright 'coz I'm saved by the
It's alright 'coz I'm saved by the

It's alright 'coz I'm saved by the Brunnhilde

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Smith said...

That comment is a sin against both God and man. Repent.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

It's hard to believe that my sadistic humor impulse created this at 11:48. It had to be later. It had to be 2:30. Wagner is crying in...heaven?

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Smith said...

Wagner might be in Heaven, at least I like to think that he is one of the people you meet there.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

We can't miss Boulez. I assume Kubiak is not invited this time? Perhaps we can get Blix, who won't be doing anything while on sabbatical, and is far more congenial.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Smith said...

I don't see why any members of the professoriat need attend. Hell, I don't know if Pierre will be alive by then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home